Tuesday 1 February 2011

Retreat!

Well....I survived!  A weekend which involved long periods of complete silence!  Saturday morning  - 5 hours!  5 hours without uttering a word including a silent breakfast!  Have you ever tried to eat toast in silence?  In the end I had to suck it to avoid noise overload!  The indigestion afterwards!!!!! ! 

Still, it was a really interesting experiment.  You think you need words to get you through the day and to be honest you don't really.  A raised eyebrow can convey so much and the hand gestures for "would you mind awfully passing the butter" just speak for themselves.  So, I sat in silence, with my discomfort, various thoughts going through my head.  Should I get up and make toast or is there a cooked breakfast?   No-one to ask you see!  Perhaps I'll wait I thought, tapping my fingers nonchalantly, looking around to see if anyone else was moving.  Yep, someone's up at the toaster, so off I go, hand gesturing all the way, "no you have that piece, I insist!!  And then later, as I munched away, someone called order.  Well at least I thought that's what it was, until I noticed it was just someone cracking their boiled egg on the table.  You could definitely make a sitcom out of this!   

I guess what I'm trying to convey is that, yes, it was difficult at times.  Sometimes my own thoughts and insecurities roared inside my head and I had to slap them down to control them.  Occasionally, during the sitting meditations, I felt like I had Tourettes, compelled to twitch my aching limbs, shout a rude word to break the silence or just get up and leave but I did none of this and just sat with it.   Eventually, the discomfort passed and I realised that I had meditated for 3 hours (with breaks for a cup of tea of course) and I had done so admirably.  More importantly, I actually enjoyed watching my mind as it danced about, waving mad thoughts, worries and random ramblings at me as if to say..."see what you make of this??!!".  I also enjoyed the company of some great people who brought so much humour to the weekend.  Bet you never thought a silent retreat could be fun?  How wrong you are!

Would I do it again......definitely yes.  I spent the early morning lay in my bed watching the sun rise above a crescent moon, plane trails drifting across the sky.  I took time out to just sit and look at the landscape in front of me and it really was beautiful.   It was such a peaceful start to the day and that feeling of contentment stayed with me throughout the whole of weekend. I paid attention to the start of the day in all it's glory and I never said a word!

Now that doesn't happen everyday.......

Time to beat a hasty retreat!

Laters

Mindfulmissy xx

3 comments:

  1. Gill - what a fab idea! The weekend retreat must have really had an impact because, despite the fact that you are at work and it's Thursday already, you have a real aura of serenity around you! Who would have thought that silence could be so exhilarating? You're right, how often do we stop and just look around us and really pay attention as opposed to just viewing everything as a backdrop? Keep mindful, lots of love, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gill
    Loved your blog and way with words but now being mindful of feelings of wanting to bash the computer - submitted comments that were then lost in the login to register them.
    Anyway - keep blogging and then publish the book.
    x
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gill

    Now I get the "I'm done with stressing" comment!. This is a "recipe" for a fantastic discussion (but preferably not too much arm waving silent discussion) over much vino and food (soz for the pun).......in fact who needs food????? Really looking forward to hearing all about the Retreat and mega catch up. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete