Sunday 6 February 2011

There's some things you just can't plan for!

Well I've had such a great week since coming back from the retreat!

I don't quite know what's happened but I definitely feel more peaceful and contented.  Last week I was so restless.  I didn't know what to do with myself and even small decisions proved a nightmare - what bread shall we have?....I don't know....there's so much choice....seeded, non-seeded, brown, wholemeal, rye, granary, ciabata, artisan.....help help!  Whatever happened to just white! 

Sorry about that!   Kind of lost myself in the past for a moment.  Where was I?  Oh yes, I felt settled and clearer about life and also excited about the future.  It would be nice to do something different and even just writing this blog is away from the norm for me.  I don't really do social and here I am talking to everyone.  Well ok not everyone.....maybe just the five of you but it's a start!!!

Which brings me to my dinner party on Friday night - now even calling it that sets me up for a fall doesn't it?  Perhaps I have delusions of grandeur!  I mean I'm not quite Hyacinth Bouquet.  If I was it would of course have been a "candlelit supper" but still, my friend made me laugh when she said "Dinner party, aren't you posh - we just have friends round for tea".  This got me thinking that perhaps I do put pressure on myself and this stops me doing things.  Having friends over is far nicer than having a dinner party!  So it was within this frame of reference that I planned "the meal".  I texted my friends and said "think rustic rather than posh nosh".  Rustic means you can of course shove it all on the table, in mis-matched tableware and tell people to help themselves.  Marvellous!  Once I was in this mindset I was so able to enjoy my cooking and overall preparations.  Normally, I'd be, It's never gonna be right, I hate all this.....cleaning, tidying, cooking but I was really in the moment, without a hint of resistance and everything just fell into place.

So, with starter prepared, casserole in oven (rustic) and pudding not even made (I was going to do that during the meal, how chilled am I!!!), I had time to throw on a silky top, paint my lips red (so on trend) and revel in my inner calm.....

There was a knock on the door, the guests had arrived..... just as my table decoration caught fire!

Now there really are some things you just can plan for!

Have a good week.

Mindful Missyxx

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of understating things to take off the pressure. So tomorrow I think I'll get off to sit in an office with some friends - and maybe do a little work whilst I'm there!
    xx

    ReplyDelete