Wednesday 30 March 2011

Can you meditate anywhere?

Gosh I've been so resistant to doing a blog this week!  When I first started out and, having read around, the general consensus was that you had to post 3 times a week to get your message out there (what message?....where?.....).  So being the dutiful person that I am, that's what I aimed for, and ...I think one week I achieved this.  Ah there's the rub!  Mindfulness by definition is about not striving for things!!!  It's about being in the moment, paying attention to what's there for you right now; being accepting of yourself and all your little faults.  So in setting myself a target for writing a mindfulness blog - I have kind of missed the point.  Mindfulness isn't about being goal centred!!   Some teacher I am! 

But then again, that's why I LOVE mindfulness.  You can never get it wrong.  It is what it is on any given day.  You may practice diligently every day, for 30 minutes, sat on a special cushion, in complete silence, your zen timer patiently counting down the minutes until your practice is over.  Or you may be sat squashed like a sardine on the 201 to Manchester, 9 different ipods sharing their tinny, irritating version of tunes you'd never normally listen to - all the while eavesdropping (I say eavesdropping - I mean come on!  People share EVERYTHING when they are on their phones on the bus!).  You just can't help but overhear that Brenda is having cheese and onion pie for tea; Kylie copped off last night and woke up with a love bite and no purse and the ubiquitous "I'm on the bus, I'm getting off now...I'm walking towards you.....here I am" conversation. Yes, I have tried to meditate during said bus journeys - does it work?  Sometimes.  Does it make my meditation experience any less than a Buddhist monk (ok maybe that's the wrong example), let's say from someone sat quietly on their spesh cushion?  I'd have to say no and that's because mindfulness is about experiencing the now, whatever it is and wherever it is. 

I mean let's face it....if you can meditate on the 201 you can meditate just about anywhere!

So next time you are on the bus or train, why don't you take a moment to look out of the window and pay attention to the view.  Or close your eyes and just feel your breath rise and fall, easily and effortlessly - letting any thoughts drift by like leaves in a stream........Oh.....and when Brenda says she's having cheese and onion pie for tea....TELL HER TO SHUT UP COS YOU'RE MEDITATING!!!

Have a great week

Mindfulmissyxxx

ps Cautionary note:   No commuters were harmed in the making of this blog.  It is perhaps inadvisable to shout on a bus especially if late for work (poetic license has been used here).

No comments:

Post a Comment